Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Eggplant Feta Casserole



My mom asked me to make dinner tonight....so I decided to whip up a vegetarian casserole I found in my amazing casserole cookbook :) Not to brag or anything, but this may be one of the best cookbooks ever written! My friend Steph and I made this casserole a few weeks ago for a get together so I thought I would share the tasty recipe with my family.

The recipe is extremely simple and requires :
1 eggplant
1 zucchini 1 yellow summer squash
spinach (optional)
2 cans of diced tomatoes (fresh tomatoes if available)
crumbled feta cheese
Parmesan cheese
4 garlic cloves
1 medium onion
extra virgin olive oil
whole wheat bread crumbs
*Bolded text indicates ingredients I added

-Cut eggplant, zucchini, and squash in to thin slices. Salt the eggplant and let it sit for approx. 30 minutes.



-Sautee vegetables in olive oil until tender and golden brown (set aside)



-In same pan sautee garlic and onions in olive oil, add diced tomatoes (including juice) and simmer for 10 minutes



-In 9x13 inch casserole dish spread 1/3 of tomato mixture. Follow by layering vegetables (spinach if desired), feta, and breadcrumbs. Continue to layer sauce, vegetables, cheese, and bread crumbs until you use up all of the vegetables. Top with remaining sauce and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
-Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes...just enough to heat it through.


TADDDAAAA! Jared even enjoyed my dish...and he swears he only eats meat ;) Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment