Thursday, June 16, 2011

Walkin' For Gramps :)



































This past Saturday morning my alarm sounded at 5:30 AM.....SOOOO EARLY! As I struggled to get out of bed and prepare for the day ahead of me I reminded myself that today was they day I was walking for gramps!

This past weekend I particpated in the Vince Lombardi Cancer Walk in Milwaukee with my grandma, mom, and aunt. This was my first year particpating in the 5k. I particpated in memory of my Grandpa Frey who passed away last spring from cancer. He was such a positive and inspiring individual. I will always remember him to be someone who looked on the bright side and could spin any negative into a positive. My family has decided to make the event an annual tradition in effort to remember by grandpa and suppport others who have been affected by cancer. The walk/run was held at the Milwaukee Zoo. Sadly the weather was cold and dreary, but we made the best of it and flew through the zoo! Overall it was a fun event to particpate in; my grandma, mom, and aunt mentioned that the event had a much greater turn out last year. I'm assuming that the weather had a large role in the small crowd this year. Hopefully this time next year I won't be wearing a sweatshirt and leggings in June!!


As my summer continues I have plans to run a couple of trail runs (5k and 10ks), as well as, the Medtronic 10 Mile in Minnesota (October). I'm really looking forward to a more casual training program and integrating Yoga/Spin into my weekly work out routines. So far summer has provided me with a more calm and casual work out schedule which I have been thoroughly enjoying. Overall I've decided that I don't want running to become a 'chore' or 'requirment' in my daily schedule...that is why I intend to rotate activities and run when I want rather than following a 'strict' training schedule.




This weekend I'm off to Door County! It should be a nice relaxing weekend filled with friends, beer, warm weather, and Fyreball Festivities. With that being said, I'm sure I will have many weekend adventures share come Monday :)










No comments:

Post a Comment