Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Bread Pudding

As many of you know I am quite the avid baker. I have been nannying for a family part-time this summer which has led to even more baking and cooking experiments! At the beginning of the summer some girlfriends and I got together for a pot luck. I decided to try something new with my fresh rhubarb. My mom always made bread pudding when I was a kid and when I found this recipe on eatingwell.com I decided I had to try it. Turns out the dish is SUPER TASTY! I did alter the recipe here and there..I used fresh strawberries, skipped on the walnuts and orange zest and added a 1/2 cup more rhubarb than it called for.

Did I mention that moving home for the summer did not provide me with the best baking set up? Seeing that our home kitchen lacks counter space and I often choose to bake at what my mom calls "inconvenient times" I often find myself baking in tight corners. Either way the groceries are usually free and there is a DISHWASHER to assist with cleanup..so who's complaining!?!?

Recipe: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/strawberry_rhubarb_bread_pudding.html

HERE WE GO!

First I whipped together the custard. I whisked together 4 eggs, 4 egg whites, and 1 cup of skim milk. Next was to add the sugar and vanilla. I always add almost double the vanilla a recipe calls for...who doesn't like vanilla???

Next step was to toss together the cubed bread crumbs, broken gingersnaps, chopped rhubarb and quartered strawberries in a separate bowl. I chose to use fresh whole wheat bread from Breadsmith, one of my favorite bakeries in Milwaukee. This bread worked great because it was dense and more on the dry side, allowing the custard to absorb well. I also found some delicious organic gingersnaps in the cookie aisle. They weren't overly sweet which was perfect for the recipe. I found that the sugar and berries already create a great deal of sweetness.



The last step was to add the custard to the bread mixture and toss for an even coat. I let the mixture sit and absorb for about 5 minutes before transferring the mixture into the prepared 11 x 17 baking dish. I baked the bread pudding at 375 for about 40 minutes (covered in foil), adding a brown sugar and oats topping for the last 10 minutes.


Most of the girls dug into the dish immediately. It is really good warm and fresh, but I ended up heating up a bowl the next day and found it just as scrumptious!

No comments:

Post a Comment