Saturday, March 24, 2012

Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup

I decided to make this soup for my family before I left on Wednesday. My mom had made the recipe before and I found it to be quite delicious. I know many people are accustom to eating chili with meat in it, but you gotta give this one a shot! It has great flavor and had just the right amount of spice.


Ingredients:
1 T + 2 tsp EVOO
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes Peeled and Diced
1 Large Onion
4 Cloves Garlic
2 T Chili Powder
4 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Chipotle Chili (dried smoked jalapeno if you can find it)
2 1/2 cups Water
2 (15 oz) Cans of Black Beans- Rinsed
14 oz can Diced Tomatoes
4 tsp Fresh Lime Juice
Cilantro

The recipe is quite simple. You can prep your ingredients ahead of time by peeling and dicing the sweet potato and onion, draining and rinsing the black beans, pressing the garlic, juicing the lime, etc. To begin cook the sweet potatoes and onion in EVOO until soft (approx. 4-5 min).



Then add garlic and other spices- stir 30 seconds and then add the water. At this point you will cover until sweet potatoes are tender (10 min).


Once the sweet potatoes are tender (make sure they aren't too soft and mushy) add beans, tomatoes and lime juice. Bring soup to simmer on high heat for 1-2 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer on low (uncovered) until slightly reduced (5-7 min). Waaaalaaa! Soup Complete!


*Please note that depending on the size of your sweet potatoes you may need to add or take away. If you like you soup less watery I would recommend using 2/12-3 sweet potatoes. I also enjoy adding jalapeno for a little more spice! I like my food extra spicy so I suggest holding on the jalapeno until you try your first batch.


This recipe is great whether you want to eat it right away, save it in the fridge for a couple of days, or freeze it!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment